Thursday, September 10, 2026

Next Year…I’m TIRED of Saying It


​As we discussed in the last session here at NSS, I pulled the plug on the Five-O because of a hectic, almost untenable couple of weeks of chemo, scans, and trips to Mayo for the Boi and his battle with cancer. 

We (myself and my Lovely) went up to Spearfish for the Five-O, manned the “split” on the course, as we have for a number of years, and high-fived, hung out with, and talked to a lot of friends that we haven’t seen in a while. 

But, manning the split showed me something. I was a little jealous of the people I was directing toward Big Hill. I’m tired of saying “next year”.  Since 2015, I’ve been saying next year a lot. 2015’s Five-O was derailed by the Boi’s first bout with cancer, as was 2016. I made a return in 2017 only to have injury take me out of 2018 and 2019. We all know what happened in 2020…with no one officially racing the Five-O, at least not in a group, but there were some ITT riders. Years 2021-2023 were a combo of still tending to injuries and the aftermath and chaos that COVID caused at work (supply chain bullshit) keeping me from doing the race. Finally, in 2024, I had a triumphant return to the Five-O with the Boi riding it with me. Unbeknownst to us, the Boi did the Five-O with a massive cancer tumor on his lung, which made his participation that much more impressive. 

Obviously, that tumor and the Boi's treatments have kept me from participating in the Five-O since then. And, as the name of this blog implies, it isn’t about the race necessarily, which would be serious. The Five-O is a great bookend, along with the Dead Swede for me, to ride my bike, see friends, and just have a good time with a lot of like-minded people. But, when I can’t ride the Five-O, or Dead Swede, or 18 Hours of Fruita, etc. it also means I’m not riding my bike, at least as much as I’d like. 

Riding my bike is where I sort out my problems, where I unload burdens of life, where I get out my wiggles, where I get rid of my stress. 

That is why I’m tired of saying next year. And, while I still have a number of “next years” left, the number ahead of me is most likely smaller than the number behind me. So, if you have the chance, get out there and take advantage of it, because you don’t know how many “next years” you have ahead of you. If everything goes as planned, I will be back out there not having to say next year.  

2024 When the Boi and I rode the Five-O.


2 comments:

  1. Chris, Thanks so much for all the years keeping our racers pointed the right direction and safe! It’s reassuring knowing you’re there. Always looking forward to seeing you ride it again. .
    You guys are the best and deserve a break from this daunting medical journey.
    Thank You to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Manning the “split” is the second best thing to riding the Five-O and if the last time I rode it is it for me, it was my best one since I rode it with Sam.

    ReplyDelete