Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Once again it is time to give thanks.

I was told the other day, at one of our super fun FREE local CX races, that I have been slacking on my blog lately and basically I needed to get on it, so here I am, back in the saddle yet again.  (Thanks T-Man for the gentle round-house kick to the gut.)

A lot has transpired since my last post, with each event probably deserving of its own blog post, like the 2nd Black Hills Back 40 and how I had a WAY better race than last year, the 13th annual Dakota Five-O that was run backwards and I had way too many Crow Peak 5 Decade IPAs afterwards and was cut off by my lovely, our multiple times rescheduled Rambler Ride on the Mickelson that never went down, or winter storm Atlas that completely screwed up my yard, causing me to have to become some sort of Urban Lumberjack™ (I just trademarked that shit), hauling away 27 truckloads of trees in the process.  Yes, there are a lot of posts in just that, but since too much time has passed since then all you get of those is a long, rambling sentence.

No, the real reason for my post is it is that time of the year to give thanks.  You're seeing a lot of people doing the daily things they're thankful for on social media, but after a few days of I'm thankful for my spouse/kids/family, my house, my job, it starts slipping into the inane crap of I'm thankful for that cute barista that is 20 years younger than me that gives me my 1/2 caf, double foam latte everyday and is sweet to me and I if weren't married I'd ask her out.  (BTW, she's sweet to you 'cause she wants a tip, not because she thinks you're cute, you 40 year old perv.)
I can't wash the mud off as I think it is possibly holding stuff
together...

So, I'll forgo the obvious stuff that I'm thankful for, like my family, job, etc. and get right to the one thing I'm truly thankful for...my Northwave MTB shoes. My shoes that have sped past the end of their useful life much (like comet ISON hurtling toward the sun) and are begging me to put them out of their misery, and yet I'm still gonna use them for a bit longer.  I figure there is no point in buying a new pair of shoes just in time for the winter, spotty outdoor riding and indoor trainer torture sessions.
It's either ISON or my shoes
fleeing the scene...

Two years for any shoes seems like a long time, but when you add in the fact that they have a couple 100 mile mountain bike races, a couple of said Dakota Five-O's and a couple BH Back 40's, a number of trips down the Mickelson, two seasons of cyclocross races and daily commuting for the fair weather  months, coupled with the fact that I probably am pushing my bike uphill more than I should and walking in these shoes is not what they are intended for, well, you'll see that they have done more than their fair share.  Yes, decidedly more than their fair share.  I should have probably scrapped 'em a while back, like when I sewed them back together the second time, or maybe when I Shoe-Goo'ed the soles.

So, thank you Northwave for the shoes.  I'll probably get another pair of your shoes soon and hopefully they are up to the challenge of allowing me to abuse them like I've done with this pair, but I think this pair has just a few more rides in them.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment