Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Bike-a-holics Anonymous

I want to start by saying thanks to all the well wishers and visitors that we had regarding Li'l Tex. But she's back up and running in full force! A few pheasants and a turkey (not to mention other dead animals) later proves that she's running like a champ!

But the real reason I am here is to talk about...BIKES. Yeah, surprising isn't it? Well maybe not really surprising, but this isn't what you'd think. I want to talk about new bikes and how a person feels about a new bike.

My buddy (the Prince from earlier posts) Brian got a new ride. And boy, did he ever get a new ride. He got the mack-daddy of new rides, a Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL with Sram XX grouppo, carbon wheels, the works. It is $7400 of rolling sex. It is fast, strong, light and absolutely gorgeous. I seriously don't know how he got a new bike this time of the year and not be able to ride it. I know it sounds like I am jealous of him, but I am not. Not even in the least. I am completely stoked for him. And it makes me want to get a new ride.

New bikes are weird. If you're really into bikes and riding, when your riding buddies get a new bike, it's cool. You're happy for them. You want to check out their new rides, go ride with them, watch them cry when they get the first scratch on it, and experience the whole thing with them. It is almost like living vicariously through them. And while I would never want the bike Brian got, I now want a new bike.

I want a Moots Mooto-X YBB with Sram XX and a Reba fork (OK, so it has some of the same stuff as Brian's bike). I just don't know what lengths I am prepared to go to for one. I am thinking that there is a possibility of selling my motorcycle for one. I can't believe I am saying that. I waited a long time to get that motorcycle, but that is the draw of a new bike. Once you've tasted a new ride, you can't go back. Wanting a new ride is like an eating disorder, a meth and a sex addiction all rolled into one. You can't get enough to satisfy the hunger. As a friend once said "How many bikes does a person need? Just one more."

So, "Hi, I am NSS and I am a Bike-A-Holic." Now, which step is the first of the 12 I need to take?

No comments:

Post a Comment