Wednesday, June 5, 2013

But We Need the Moisture...

Working in a public place affords a person a lot of trivial chit-chat.  I guess it is human nature to be able to talk about something, anything, when there is another person around.  Thankfully, living in this blood Red State (and being a "tree hugging Atheist liberal" as the Princess has called me), it rarely ends up being political, so it ends up being something that everyone has in common, "did you watch American Idol last night?"  "Did you see the Superbowl?" "Can you believe this weather?"  "It's too bad you have to be inside ALL DAY on this gorgeous day!" (Thanks asshole.) The weather is the one thing that everyone has in common and we can do absolutely NOTHING about, which leads to a lot of comments and/or bitching about it.  Through most of this last winter, which was pretty damn dry, I'd hear something along the lines of "I love that there is no snow, but we need some moisture." Yes, my season pass to Terry Peak says we need some snow, fire danger and crop lands be damned.

Mushrooms.  Growing in my yard.  It might be a touch moist...
Then, the snowboarding season ends (myself and all the lovers of two wheels on dirt) and all hell breaks loose with three weeks in a row of blizzards with our fair city getting upwards of 44" of snow (as I may have whined about in an earlier post).  These snow storms wreaked havoc upon the city, closing schools and businesses down multiple days throughout the month.  And through the whole 3 week stretch I'm guessing I heard "...BUT, we need the moisture." at least 300 TIMES!  If ever there was a time when a person wanted to type OMG, this was it.  Holy shit, have an original thought/comment.  Personally, for me, we could have received that precipitation in the form of rain and I would have been just fine, or at least received it a month or two prior so I could have enjoyed it, you know, in some other fashion than shoveling my corner lot sidewalks and driveway off multiple times.  As a matter of fact, my disdain for the phrase "but we need the moisture" led me to spouting off (imagine that) on my Book of Faces page which led to some misunderstandings and some hurt feelings.  What the hell, people can't see the sarcasm in my typing?


The sun came out just after we (the Ramblers) rolled off on our annual MoFruitab trip, melting almost all the snow to open up trails and roads for two wheeled fun.  And after a brief weather respite, we ended up getting a bunch more precipitation in the form of rain.  A lot of it.  To the point where I'm wondering if I need to switch sports to something that involves water.
Me ripping up some singletrack last week...

All of this leads me to the conundrum of having dry trails to ride yet having the trails be in excellent condition.  Before we got all this snow and then rain, the trails on our urban singletrack at HLMP were so dry that there were sections of basically moon dust.  That coupled with the fact that the fire danger was astronomically high was leading to the fact our riding season might not have been very good at all.

So Mother Nature, if you're reading this blog and I know you do, if you can spread out the precipitation a little bit so we can ride the trails that would be nice.  If you can't I understand, I would love to be able to ride, but we need the moisture...

No comments:

Post a Comment