Saturday, April 3, 2010

There is NO turning back now...

Well, it's official...we're doing the 24 Hours of Moab. I submitted our application and paid this week. And now I'm scared to death.

You see, I haven't done the 24 HoM in 10 years. TEN YEARS. I was much younger, better looking, in better shape and WAY faster back then.

Oh sure, I've muddled through the Dakota Five-O a couple times, but for the most part, I haven't done a race, much less ride my bike nearly enough to do the 24 HoM. I now face the reality of racing this in October and I don't think I have enough time to train for it, which is why I am scared.

Could I go and do the race now? Sure I could. I could also punch myself in the nuts repeatedly about 700 times and get the same result. Thing is, I don't want to. I don't want to just suffer through the race, although no matter your shape, you will suffer. I want to be able to hang. I want to be able to have fun. I want to be able to have my team be happy with my performance.

When I signed the team up this last week, the website had about 250 warnings saying that it was final and no refunds were to be given. Maybe that is why I got nervous about where I am at right now. I know it is irrational and in a week or two I'll be OK with it and be rarin' to go.

I'd better go upstairs now and eat some Easter candy...

No comments:

Post a Comment